GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Area 51  ~  James Cameron regains control of the rights to TERMINATOR

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 41290 Location: Bronx 1990
James Cameron regains control of the rights to “The Terminator” franchise in 2019 and apparently he’s already lining up what he intends to do with it.

Deadline reports that Cameron is godfathering a new iteration of the film, one that will effectively serve as a conclusion to the franchise – closing out the battle between humans and Skynet.

On top of that Cameron, who is busy with the “Avatar” franchise until well into next decade, is said to be in early talks with “Deadpool” director Tim Miller to direct the project.

David Ellison, whose Skydance Productions co-financed “Terminator Genisys,” is reportedly financing an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively. Ellison still retains many rights to the property.

Cameron has effectively had zero involvement in the property since the first two films, beyond a short endorsement of the critically panned “Terminator Genisys” which grossed $440 million worldwide and fizzled States-side.

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
The other week came word that “The Terminator” franchise still has some life in it as James Cameron is reportedly planning one for when the rights revert back to him in 2019. He would not only produce the project but have serious creative involvement in it, with “Deadpool” helmer Tim Miller doing the directing.

Speaking with The Daily Beast this week, the master helmer says even though the franchise track record since he left hasn’t been very stellar, he says the core idea is still ripe for more mining:

“Its really just stumbled along, trying to find its voice again. There’s probably some degree to where it’s lost relevance, you know? Maybe the things that made it good back then are kind of a yawn now. It’s easy to remember fondly the things that kick off a franchise. It’s hard to keep a franchise vigorous, and relevant.

I haven’t had my hand on the tiller since ‘Terminator 2,’ and that was 1991. So what’s that? Twenty-six years? But look, I think it’s possible to tell a great ‘Terminator’ story now, and it’s relevant.

We live in a digital age, and ‘Terminator’ ultimately, if you can slow it down, is about our relationship with our own technology, and how our technology can reflect back to us – and in the movie, literally, in a human form that is a nemesis and a threat.

But also in those movies, in the two that I did, it’s about how we dehumanize ourselves. In a time when people are being absorbed by their virtual-social world, I mean, just look around. I always say: if ‘Terminator’ was about the war between the humans and the machines, look around any restaurant or airport lounge and tell me the machines haven’t won when every human you see is enslaved to their device. So could you make a relevant ‘Terminator’ film now? Absolutely.”

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Though the sequel to “Terminator: Genisys” is officially dead, development still reportedly continues on the Tim Miller-helmed and James Cameron-produced next chapter in the “Terminator” franchise.

‘Genisys’ stars Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney may be out, but Arnold Schwarzenegger says he’s not finished making “Terminator” movies. Speaking with Fandango he said: “I’m looking forward to doing another Terminator movie, yes.” Then asked about the reports that the franchise was over, he responded:

“I don’t want to call it, like, fake news, like the president calls it, but I think people just write things – I have no idea why. Just because Paramount doesn’t want to pick up the Terminator franchise, you have 15 other studios willing to do it – that doesn’t mean the Terminator franchise is finished, right?

It just means they are on their way to negotiate with another studio, but I can’t give you the details of that. They’ll announce that. But, yes, the Terminator franchise is never finished. And remember that after 2018, James Cameron is getting it back, and then it will continue on!”

Skydance CEO David Ellison recently said the franchise has ‘an incredibly bright future’ and teased an announcement coming later this year.