GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Area 51  ~  New PREDATOR

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 41290 Location: Bronx 1990
Shane Black is co-writing and directing the upcoming film. 20th Century Fox were very keen to get Shane Black to rewrite their PREDATOR script back in the 80s. He resisted, so the studio tried a trick. They cast him in the film, and then on set, asked him again if he'd take a look at the draft. Sneaky.

Black again refused. But now, 20-some years later, they finally have their man. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Black is writing a treatment for the do-over and is attached to direct. The actual script will be written by Fred Dekker, Black's MONSTER SQUAD collaborator.

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
Shane Black answered a few questions from the Collider web site, giving his reasons for not hitting the big red reset button; "As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway," Black said, adding "Why start over, when you've all this rich mythology yet to mine?" Black said he doesn't like reboots generally, but can "really get behind inventive sequels", noting that he likes "the idea of expanding and exploring the existing PREDATOR mythology, rather than hitting the restart button."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Shane Black has nearly finished the script for the Predator sequel

A year ago, the news broke that Shane Black (Iron Man 3, Lethal Weapon) had targeted a reworking/”inventive sequel” to 20th Century Fox’s Predator. So what progress has been made in the year since? According to Collider‘s recent interview with producer John Davis, writer/director (not to mention co-star of John McTiernan’s original) Black is still fully engaged to making the Predator sequel, despite having filmed the 1970’s-set noir The Nice Guys with Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe and the Amazon spaghetti western pilot “Edge” in the interim.

“Shane shot a movie and he’s doing a pilot now, but I’ve read a lot of his script and I think it’s genius,” Davis said. “I think it’s genius and I think it’s entertaining, and what it did is recreate a famous franchise in a different, interesting way; looking at it from a different light. He’s just an amazing writer-director. He’s got a way of looking at this that makes you excited again. I love this franchise. It was the first movie I ever did. I remember in being in the jungle with Arnold [Schwarzenegger] as a 28-year-old and going, ‘This is a fun business!’…Shane’s amazing. He’s an amazing storyteller.”

Black will be directing the new film and is writing the treatment that will tie in to franchise continuity, with the full script being supplied by his longtime pal Fred Dekker, with whom Black worked on Monster Squad.

“Shane’s got a writing partner, Fred Dekker,” Davis continued. “They’ve been doing it together and Fred’s great. The two of them together, they’ve been in the business for a long time, but the writing is so fresh, the perspective is so fresh. I’m telling you you’re going to get something you don’t expect and you’re going to say, ‘This is the most entertaining way to reinvent a franchise.’ I mean he’s the guy who wrote ‘Iron Man 3.'”

The 1987 original was directed by John McTiernan and starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as the leader of a United States special forces team that comes under attack from an alien entity that prizes the thrill of the hunt above all else. It was followed by a direct sequel, Predator 2, in 1990 before crossing over with Fox’s Alien franchise for two additional sequels, Alien vs. Predator and AvP: Requiem. In 2010, Nimrod Antal helmed a reboot with a new feature, Predators.

John Davis (The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Chronicle) is attached to produce the new Predator sequel with Matt Reilly overseeing for Fox and Ira Napoliello overseeing for Davis Entertainment.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Last year came word that filmmaker Shane Black and his THE MONSTER SQUAD co-writer Fred Dekker were working on an "inventive sequel" to the action classic PREDATOR for 20th Century Fox. Today, Dekker has taken to Facebook to confirmed that the script for the film has been completed and turned in.

Producer John Davis previously told Collider: "The writing is so fresh, the perspective is so fresh. I'm telling you you're going to get something you don't expect and you're going to say, 'This is the most entertaining way to reinvent a franchise.'"

Specific plot details are currently under wraps, but it's expected that IRON MAN 3 writer/director Black will also helm the film which currently doesn't have a release date.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Could Arnold Schwarzenegger be returning to the "Predator" franchise?

In recent months a fourth film (NOT a reboot) in the series, currently going by the name "The Predator," has picked up steam with "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and "Iron Man 3" writer/director Shane Black set to helm and co-write the film alongside "Monster Squad" scribe Fred Dekker.

Things seemed to move even further the other week as Fox announced a March 2nd 2018 release date, and word has come from The Arnold Fans (via The Playlist) that Schwarzenegger's character from the original - Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer - is in it.

Speaking with them this week, Schwarzenegger has revealed he has a lunch meeting booked in with Black in which talk of him reprising his role will likely come up:

"I haven't talked with [Shane Black] yet but I'm going to meet with him for lunch sometime soon. Just as soon as I'm finished with [Arnold's Sports Festival] and The Apprentice and all this stuff. But I will get together with him. If there is any news, we'll of course let you know right away. There's also a meeting coming up soon about [The Legend of] Conan, about the project moving forward."

No word as yet when "The Predator" will head into production though a late 2016/early 2017 start date seems certain if it's to meet its intended release date.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Shane Black is about to begin promotional rounds for his 1970s L.A. detective noir comedy "The Nice Guys" opening May 20th. Before that hits though, he appeared this week at CinemaCon where he briefly chatted with Collider about his likely next project - "The Predator".

This 'restart' of the "Predator" franchise is said to have much more scale and serious money behind it than the other sequels in the franchise. Black told the outlet that is is set in the present day and that, barring something unexpected, it'll be his immediate next directorial effort:

"I'm working on the script, and barring an act of God, a safe from the sky, there's nothing that suggests it won't be the next thing, and I'm getting more and more excited day by day. I mean, there's great Predator movies, but to actually play with the idea of making it an event, not necessarily in scale - it doesn't have to be huge - but it just has to feel like a Predator movie you want to see in the summer and line up for it. And that's what we're going for. Let's get back to the excitement and innovation of that original movie where it felt fresh. I just want to find a way to make it feel fresh and that's what we're trying to do."

He also talked about the possibility of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Dutch character coming back:

"We have not talked about it, which is good because I'm not supposed to talk about it anyway. Not supposed to talk about details of the script. And I shouldn't... I think it's something we're looking into, and as this thing evolves and takes on more of a shape, we'll figure out how best to honor the tradition of what is really a remarkable first movie and even parts of the rest of them as well."

"The Predator" is due out March 2nd 2018.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
One of the more anticipated franchise refreshes on the way is that of "The Nice Guys" writer/director Shane Black's ambition to reignite the "Predator" franchise with a new event film which is now targeting a February 9th 2018 release.

Production on the new film is slated to begin this October from a script Black is co-writing with Fred Dekker. Dekker recently appeared on The Movie Crypt Podcast (via EW) and revealed some more details about the project which he says won't adopt the "And Then There Were None" (aka. "Ten Little Indians") approach of a single location and killing off characters one by one which the original "Predator" also used.

Instead, the new one will involve different characters from all over the world and he compares the tone of it to James Cameron's 1986 classic "Aliens":

"If you think of the first Predator as Alien, ours is much more Aliens. It's not Ten Little Indians, it's not, Let's kill off all of our characters, because we have a lot of characters, from a lot of different worlds and ideologies. I don't mean other planets. It's a lot of people doing a lot of things in a lot of locations.

There's a lot of great stuff in the [original] Predator but it's very simple. Guys get dropped in a jungle, and there's an alien monster, and they fight the monster, and they all die except for one - spoiler alert! - and then the thing self-destructs, and there's a nuke, and then [Arnold Schwarzenegger] flies away. It's relatively simple.

Our idea was, Okay, we know that story already. What's behind the curtain? Why are they here? What are they doing? What's the bigger picture of this?... I think these are questions you can answer, or at least explore, without defeating that sense of scariness. And who knows if their agenda's changed?"

It's unclear when casting announcements will be revealed, so far only rapper 50 Cent and a potentially returning Arnold Schwarzenegger are rumored to be starring.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Could be fun if done right.
Revisiting the first one, I was surprised to realized just how much of a slasher feel it has.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
One sort-of-sequel, sort-of-reboot in development is the Shane Black-directed new entry in the "Predator" sci-fi franchise.

Speaking on an episode of Meet The Movie Press this week, Jeff Sneider revealed a major casting rumor regarding the film - that James Franco is rumored to be in line for the lead role in the film.

The new movie is currently slated to open February 2018 which means production will likely kick off towards in a few months. So far no other actors have yet been linked beyond rumblings of Arnold Schwarzenegger potentially reprising his role from the 1987 original.

Black and his old "Monster Squad" cohort Fred Dekker are penning the script for the feature which is anticipated to have a larger budget than previous films in the series.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Earlier came the news that “The Legend of Conan,” Arnold Schwarzenegger’s proposed return to the role that really kickstarted his career, has effectively been killed by the studio.

The man himself has also spoken today about revisiting another of his iconic 1980s roles this week – that of Dutch in “Predator”. Before Shane Black’s in the works “The Predator” reboot began production, there were rumors that the character would appear in some capacity in the film.

Once it began though, it was pretty clear Arnold was not involved. Speaking with Yahoo , the former Governor discussed the film and confirmed his character did have a part but he opted out of returning:

“They asked me, and I read it, and I didn’t like it – whatever they offered. So I’m not going to do that, no. Except if there’s a chance that they rewrite it, or make it a more significant role. But the way it is now, no, I won’t do that.”

AVP Galaxy says according to a leaked copy of the script, Schwarzenegger had a very short cameo in the film with a few lines. Could this be a case of the role simply not being big enough for the actor?

It is according to Black. Responding to a fan’s question on Twitter, Black says: “I spoke with him [Schwarzenegger], I think it was that he didn’t have enough to do. Enough presence in the film.”

Boyd Holbrook, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, Trevante Rhodes, Sterling K. Brown, Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn, Edward James Olmos, and Jacob Tremblay star in the new “The Predator” which opens February 9th next year.