GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Area 51  ~  ALIEN 5

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 41421 Location: Bronx 1990
ALIEN 5

1997's "Alien Resurrection" essentially closed out the "Alien" franchise story wise, leaving various questions hanging in the air. Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" answered (however vaguely) a few of those questions, as will its upcoming sequel no doubt.

Still, fans of the series have long been keen on a straight up fifth "Alien" and Sigourney Weaver getting one last outing as Ellen Ripley. As time has gone on though, that possibility has essentially gone from slim to none.

There's always hopeful optimism though, and Weaver herself appeared at the Los Angeles Times Hero Complex Film Festival over the weekend where she said she could also imagine a further sequel in the franchise being made:

"I feel after going to a couple of these Comic Cons and meeting so many fans who are so passionate about the series, passionate about Ripley — that there's more story to tell; but I don't know how to do that.

I don't think Alien belongs on Earth popping out of a haystack, which is where I was afraid it was going to go. I feel it should take place in the far reaches of the universe where no one in their right mind would go.

There are very few filmmakers that I can think of that I would want to entrust this to. But I can think of a couple... I feel there's a longing in certain groups of fans when I meet them for the story to be finished because we really left it up in the air and I feel a bit badly about that because I was part of that decision making process.

I didn't want to make four and five in a bundle. I think it's hard to make these films all in a big lump. You need time to sort of let things resonate so I can imagine a situation where we could at least finish telling her story.

I think that would be very satisfying at least to me — although I haven't done anything about it; but I can understand why that could happen and I certainly know young filmmakers who are interested in doing that. So we'll just have to see what happens."

Despite Weaver's desire, those in charge of the "Alien" franchise are more interested in pursuing other directions such as the "Prometheus" sequel which seems to be headed further away from its "Alien" connections.

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5 is dead, says Ridley Scott

In late 2015, it was revealed that 20th Century Fox‘s plans for Neill Blomkamp‘s proposed Alien 5 were in a holding pattern pending the release of Ridley Scott’s prequel Alien: Covenant. Now that we’re weeks away from Covenant‘s May 19 bow in theaters, Scott has been asked by Allocine about Blomkamp’s fivequel and he suggests it’s no longer an active project at all.

“There was never a script,” Scott stated bluntly. “It was an idea that evolved from, I believe, a 10-page pitch, and I was meant to be part of the producers on that. It didn’t evolve. Fox decided that they didn’t want to do it and that was it. I’d already done ‘Prometheus’ and I was planning ‘Covenant’ so I dunno.”

When pressed to say if he thinks the sequel would ever happen, Scott said, “I don’t think so, no.”

So there it is. At the time, Blomkamp had been very public in sharing art and ideas about the sequel, and fans were excited. Rather than coming out right away with the fact that the project had floundered, Fox and Blomkamp went with the more PR-friendly “holding pattern” claim, but the truth seems to be that Blomkamp’s vision for Alien 5 no longer seemed viable.

In late 2015, Michael Biehn (who famously portrayed colonial marine Cpl. Dwayne Hicks in the 1986 classic Aliens) told Icons of Fright that the sequel would have potentially seen his and Sigourney Weaver’s long-awaited return, as well as Newt.

“They’re planning on bringing me and Newt back, and at this point Newt will be around twenty-seven years old,” Biehn confirmed. “I know that every actress in Hollywood is going to want to play this one, it’s really a passing of the torch between Sigourney and this younger actress who would play Newt.”

Child actress Carrie Henn originally played Rebecca “Newt” Jorden, the sole survivor of the colony on LV-426. Henn retired from acting after playing the role, going on to a career as a teacher, and both Newt and Hicks were unceremoniously killed off at the tippy-top of David Fincher’s Alien 3. Blomkamp’s plan was also to ignore the events of 1992’s Alien 3 and 1997’s Alien: Resurrection for the now-scrapped untitled Alien sequel.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
In an interview about his new experimental sci-fi shorts studio Oats Studios, director Neill Blomkamp tells The Verge that he is planning a District 9 follow-up.

“With District 9, I plan on making another film in that world,” he said when asked if Oats Studios would work on tie-ins to District 9, Elysium or Chappie. “To go back and work with WETA, and make the film would be cool, but anything that pre-exists like that may not be the best fit for whatever we’re trying here.”

Released in August of 2009, District 9 stars Sharlto Copley. It was made for just $30 million and grossed $210.8 million worldwide.

He was also asked whether he is completely done with his Alien 5 concept. “I think it’s totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point. It’s sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it’s gone now, and the way that it all is — it’s just not going to live.”

He clarified he was talking about studio politics. “Ridley [Scott] was one of my idols growing up. He’s so talented and he’s made this film that really set me off in a direction. I want to just be as respectful and not go stamping around in this world that he created. I think that if the circumstances were different, and I didn’t feel like I was getting too close to something that he obviously feels a massive personal connection to, that things that may have played out differently. But I did want to be as respectful as possible.”