GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Video Games, Comics, Animation & Toys  ~  SPAWN reboot to be horror a film

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 41401 Location: Bronx 1990
While talking with comicbook.com at Toy Fair New York, SPAWN creator Todd McFarlane gave an update on the long-gestating second SPAWN film and his new take on the project: a stripped down horror thriller.

Likening the idea to film such as THE DEPARTED and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, he said SPAWN will be more of a boogeyman lurking about. "Will he look like he did in the first movie? No," McFarlane added. "Will he have a supervillain he fights? No. He's going to be the spectre, the ghost."

Noting successful films like THE RING and THE GRUDGE, he said, "I think they all work because there's only one thing in the movie that's not normal."

The 1997 SPAWN starred Michael Jai White as the damned Al Simmons and John Leguizamo as The Clown. Based on the character's origin story, the film also featured the Clown in his Violator form and Malebolgia, a brief trip to Hell and a mentor in the form of Nicol Williamson as Cogliostro. McFarlane now sees those elements as far too much for one film. "There's not five things [in the new film], there's one thing that's the boogeyman. So that'll be Spawn," he explained.

The more contained film will also keep the project light on the special effects work, which McFarlane said he hopes will help with financing as he intends to direct the project himself.

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
SPAWN!

For years now, the prospect of a Spawn reboot has made the rounds in movie news, but the character’s creator Todd McFarlane has now taken to Facebook to officially announce that the film is coming and he has big guns behind him.

Todd McFarlane and his entertainment division (McFarlane Films) is partnering with Jason Blum and Blumhouse Productions, the producing force behind recent hits Get Out, Split, and The Purge franchise, to develop a feature film around the Spawn comic character created by McFarlane and published by Image Comics. McFarlane has written the first draft of the screenplay and is set to make his directorial debut in this dark exploration of one of comics’ most popular characters.

“Having worked with many visionary directors, I think Todd’s unique artistic talents will only add to his role as director of this film,” Blum said.

“We’ve gone from the theoretical to now we’re making movies,” McFarlane said. “Blumhouse. Spawn. Badass. R. Get ready for it, we’re going into production. No more talking, it’s time to do.”

McFarlane is known for reinventing the look of Spider-Man as well as co-creating the Venom character for Marvel Comics.

First appearing in 1992’s Spawn #1, the character quickly became the symbol for 1990s comics dark and brutal antiheroes. His Hellspawn powers allow him to teleport, shape shift, and utilize a variety of weapons (notably chains) in combat.

Spawn previously made the leap to the big screen in 1997 with Michael Jai White in the title role and then on television as an HBO animated miniseries, titled Todd McFarlane’s Spawn.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
Todd McFarlane's SPAWN reboot is gearing up to head into production soon, a reportedly $10 million Blumhouse production that will both avoid origin story elements and go light on showcasing much of its titular soldier of hell on screen. In the comics Al Simmons was a Special Ops soldier who was murdered in the line of duty because he was growing a conscience. In exchange for seeing his wife again on Earth, he was turned into the disfigured Hellspawn (a general in the Devil's army) and sent back to the surface.

McFarlane, who is putting some of his own money into the film, is keeping costs tight to ensure he gets to direct it, and it gets to have a hard R-rating which suits the material it is based on. In terms of avoiding the origin story elements he tells Yahoo: "I always come back to JAWS — not that I have a shark in Spawn! But that shark was enormous. And at anytime in the movie, did they tell me why the shark was so damn big? No! Did it matter to me? No!

All that mattered was that it was big and in the same vicinity as humans. Or John Carpenter's THE THING: where do the aliens come from? I don't know! What was its reason for taking over bodies? I don't know! It just was. I'm OK without an origin. Just give me a compelling story, scare the shit out of me from time to time, and I'm along for the ride."

The film is currently in pre-production with the budgeting phase about to begin. McFarlane says they're also trying to sell it as a pre-distribution deal that would guarantee a solid theatrical release and an opening date likely sometime in late 2018 or more likely 2019. He also says the plan is to do 85-90% of the film with practical effects.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
“Spawn” creator Todd McFarlane recently spoke with AZCentral to discuss his upcoming panel at Ace City Comic-Con and talked touched upon the new “Spawn” film in the works which he is directing later this year.

Asked to offer a status update on the project, he confirmed those involved have just signed off on the script and are going into budgeting with casting meetings now underway. He also touched upon the tone and revealed the title character will remain silent throughout the film:

“It will be dark and heavy, serious, R-rated. It won’t be a superhero movie. I don’t think most people would categorize it as that. It will be a supernatural thriller, like a lot of good creep movies. I like to explain that it’s my Jaws. Spawn doesn’t say a word the entire movie, and it’s the same way with Jaws. It’s about the sheriff and the people, chasing the ghost. That’s it.

The lead role isn’t Spawn, the lead role is a cop, like Sheriff Brody from Jaws. I think we can hook a fairly significant actor that we want. Unlike a superhero movie, we wouldn’t need an actor to put on prosthetic (makeup) or go to the gym. We just need him to act.”