GOREZONE Forum Index
Author Message

<  Area 51  ~  Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
20th Century Fox has closed a deal with director Neill Blomkamp to develop a new ALIEN movie, sources confirm. The untitled sci-fi project is separate from PROMETHEUS 2, which Fox is still making with Ridley Scott.

Blomkamp, who directed DISTRICT 9 and the upcoming Sony feature CHAPPIE, had been teasing the project in recent months but said the extra-terrestrial reboot was likely abandoned. It was supposed to star ALIEN veteran Sigourney Weaver. But on Wednesday Blomkamp confirmed the tentpole was back on track at Fox. "So I think this is officially my next film," he confirmed on Instagram. It's unclear whether Weaver is still attached to the movie. According to insiders, the new ALIEN takes place years after the PROMETHEUS sequel. Scott is producing both films through his production company Scott Free.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
This sequel will basically disregard ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESSURECTION as the director says he's designing the film to sit in sequence after ALIENS.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LowercaseE
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Mad Scientist Joined: 09 Nov 2006 Posts: 1358 Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Definitely has my interest. My biggest fear would be that they will turn it into the Matrix, basically like every other sci-fi film since THE MATRIX has done. I don't want CG everything and super slow mo perfection shots with a huge bass drop. No, make it raw and scary like ALIENS or make it more subtle and spooky like ALIEN.

_________________
-- Lionsgate is to horror as Trivium is to metal --
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
I will either be good or suck but nothing amazing. ELYSIUM was fucking awful.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
Director Neill Blomkamp's new ALIEN movie won't be ALIEN 5 so much as a new ALIEN 3. Blomkamp says the film ignores the events and themes of ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION instead it will act as a direct follow-up to James Cameron's 1986 effort ALIENS. He tells Sky Movies:

"I want this film to feel like it is literally the genetic sibling of ALIENS. So it's ALIEN, ALIENS and then this movie. It's a Freudian kind of nightmare. That element, to me, is what's so appealing, to try to put the audience on the edge of their seat the whole time, in a traditional, monster stalking you, dark corridor way. I love that, and then, when you mix in all of the design elements, and the life cycle of the alien, it's just a powder keg of creativity for me."

Sigourney Weaver herself indicates to the outlet that the film will serve as a "proper finish" to Ripley's story:

"I would love to take Ripley out of orbiting around in space, and give a proper finish to what was such an excellent story. When someone like Neill Blomkamp suddenly said, 'Well I'm interested in finishing this story,' my little ears perked up. We started chatting on the set of Chappie almost right away, about his love for these movies. And then he started to send me the artwork over the last year, and a lot of story ideas. I'm delighted that he's interested in doing this. I think it's a great series. It deserves a proper ending. I know the fans would love that, so I hope it works out."

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
CHAPPIE tanked...

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
Traditionally there have been long gaps between Alien sequels, but xenomorph fans are in hog heaven right now with the idea that both Neill Blomkamp’s untitled Alien 5 and Ridley Scott’s Prometheus 2 are being concurrently developed. In a new interview with Empire, Blomkamp let it be known that his sequel will not, in his own words, “tread on the toes” of Scott’s pseudo-prequel.

“I changed the one thing [Scott] felt was bumping ‘Prometheus’ a little bit,” reveals Blomkamp. “One thing that makes me feel good about it is that Ridley is producing it. He likes the idea of what I want to make.”

Although Blomkamp makes it very clear that “the first two films are the ones that I care about,” as he has said in recent weeks, he jokes that his film could be called “Alien 3 (no, really)” while maintaining his poker face over what the actual title is.

“I sent what I wanted as the title to Ridley,” says Blomkamp. “It’s kinda quite bold, and he was like, ‘I really like that.’ So I’m gonna test it, I don’t think it’s gonna work, though. I have my own idea but it gives away too much if I say the title. But in the event that it doesn’t work, I’m dead in the water…”

Finally, Blomkamp’s wife and frequent collaborator Terri Tatchell revealed what finally tipped him to ultimately choose this film as his next project.

“He’s hemming and hawing, going back-and-forth,” Tatchell says of his indecision. “Finally I said, ‘Look, look at what you make me drink my orange juice out of every morning,’ and I pulled out of the cupboard, we have these set of glasses that have these brutal scenes from the movies. I said, ‘You make your daughter drink out of these cups! This is a sign.'”

“No bullsh*t, that made me realize there is a massive portion of my brain taken up by the xenomorph,” Blomkamp said. “I was like, ‘Hmm, that’s a valid point.'”

Ridley Scott is expected to direct Prometheus 2 from a screenplay by Michael Green and Jack Paglen, with original stars Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender returning for what is promised to be a trip to the homeworld of the sinister Engineers of both the alien species and humanity. 20th Century Fox currently has a March 4, 2016 release date set, although pre-production is unconfirmed at this time. Meanwhile, Neill Blomkamp will write and direct Alien 5 with an eye towards a tentative 2017 release. Sigourney Weaver is expected to return, although it is unclear if it will follow the events of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection or create an alternate follow-up to 1986’s beloved Aliens.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
Appearing at London Comic Con last week, Sigourney Weaver spoke about her history with Fox's "Alien" franchise and seemingly suggested that Fox's early plans to make "Alien vs. Predator" back before "Alien 3" in 1993, was what caused Ridley Scott to drop out of the project and what made her decide to kill off the Ellen Ripley character.

Now Peter Briggs, who penned the original "Alien vs. Predator" spec script back in 1991 (but is uncredited on the final 2004 film) has responded to the criticism in a letter to Bloody Disgusting. Briggs penned a draft which was at Fox for over a decade until Paul W.S. Anderson came onto the movie and did his own version, and says that the third "Alien" began filming almost a year before his spec script even arrived at the studio:

"Maybe they were in a panic about 'Alien 3'... I have no idea. And so when I hear Sigourney Weaver recounting her killing off Ripley in 'Alien 3' because she'd heard Fox were talking about doing 'Alien vs Predator,' despite the fact our project was first spoken about and initiated well over a year (not even counting Vincent Ward's involvement!) after her movie had gone into active production, I really have to roll my eyes at her claims.

I love "Alien 3". Well; I didn't on its theatrical release, but I find the recent extended DVD recut even more watchable than "Aliens". I'll also be honest that I'm less-than-wild about the two "Alien vs Predator" movies (particularly "Requiem", about which less said the better) But I do wish Sigourney Weaver would stop beating on "Alien vs Predator" as her pet pinata in "ruining" the "Alien" franchise, and acknowledge that two standalone "Alien" movies she was actively involved with unfortunately managed that first, all on their own.

I don't even know if Sigourney Weaver has read the "Alien vs Predator" draft I wrote. She's never said she has. But, I was a fan obsessive of the "Alien" franchise, Sigourney. Big time. Particularly Ridley's original, which is still unmatched. And "Alien vs Predator" - as a concept - is still killer, full of potential. Even its critically maligned first cinematic outing made $172,544,654 worldwide, compared to $159,814,498 for "Alien 3" and $161,376,068 for "Resurrection". Hardly a financial "fail" there, Sigourney. There's a terrific "Alien vs Predator" movie still to be made by someone. It just hasn't happened yet.

Fox meanwhile is moving forward with a Predator-less "Alien" film with "District 9" director Neill Blomkamp attached along with Sigourney Weaver, though the film is still in early stages.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
This past weekend's London Comic Con saw many stars turning out for panels, one of them being "Alien" series lead Sigourney Weaver. Though it has been nearly twenty years since she last played Ellen Ripley, the role will arguably remain her most iconic and the actress was happy to talk about the ups and downs of the part with The Radio Times during the event.

Weaver has expressed disappointment in the past with how Fox treated the "Alien" franchise, specifically the "Alien vs. Predator" films of which she's not a fan. While the first "Alien vs. Predator" film hit in 2004, the project had actually been in development at the studio since the early 1990s.

In fact, it was because of that early development that Weaver apparently decided to quit the series in 1993 with the third film (before later returning for 1997's "Alien Resurrection). Asked if it was her decision to kill off the character in "Alien 3" she says:

"Well, yes - because I heard that Fox was gonna do Alien vs. Predator. Which really depressed me because I was very proud of the movies... I've nothing against building a movie on a video game, but at the time it was, as Jim Cameron said, I think publicly, 'Why would you want to do that'? It's like making Alien meets the Wolfman."

She also adds that Ridley Scott was keen on doing a third "Alien" but was also turned off by Fox's plans for the franchise. She is, however, quite excited about "District 9" director Neill Blomkamp's vision for a 'true' sequel to "Aliens" which apparently "won't wipe away the events seen in Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection" and will also see the return of Corporal Hicks (Michael Biehn). Of Blomkamp, Weaver says:

"I'm so excited about Neill - because Neill is like you guys. He broke the tapes of these movies when he was a kid, he watched them so much. I love the fact that's Neill's fulfilling his childhood dream of what he hopes will be the popcorn movie, the Alien popcorn movie that he wanted as a kid to see."

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
Looks like the Neill Blomkamp-directed direct sequel to "Aliens" could be on hold for a short while.

Their sources suggest that though Fox is still keen on the project, it's said to be on hold until after Ridley Scott gets into production on his proposed "Prometheus" sequel:

"Alien 5 is still very much in the works, as Fox remains hot on the idea. Blomkamp continues to work on the script (only an outline existed previously) and refine the tale he is telling. Ridley Scott is still producing, but has insisted on Prometheus 2 being made first."

Blomkamp will continue to slowly prep the next "Alien" while Scott shoots the "Prometheus" follow-up early next year.

There may be an upside to the delay of Blomkamp's project - it not only allows for more development time, it also lets him easier resolve any potential scheduling issues regarding Sigourney Weaver and her commitment to the "Avatar" sequels.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
Looks like this is postponed...

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
“District 9” and “Elysium” director Neill Blomkamp got “Aliens” fans in a tizzy when he talked about his plans for a direct follow-up to James Cameron’s 1986 sci-fi starrer.

Asked for an update on the project this week on Twitter though, the director now says that the odds of his film actually going into production are “slim”.

The sequel was indefinitely put on hold in 2015 at executive producer Sir Ridley Scott’s insistence as he wanted to complete “Alien: Covenant” and have it out in cinemas before Blomkamp’s project. With Scott’s film only a few months away, the plans for the franchise’s future look likely to have changed.

Series star Sigourney Weaver said she’d be surprised if Blomkamp’s sequel didn’t happen, adding that the script is ‘great’.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
This is not happening anymore... because of Ridley Scott.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arc-Vile
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42025 Location: Bronx 1990
Filmmaker Neill Blomkamp’s proposed plans for a direct “Aliens” sequel are now well and truly dead. Talking up his Oat Studios label this week, the filmmaker revealed that his desire to make the film has come and gone.

The “District 9” helmer got many fans excited following his sharing of some concept art online several years ago. However, once Ridley Scott decided that he finally wanted to make “Alien: Covenant” then Blomkamp’s movie was put on the shelf and looked unlikely to be revived. Now he says its death is a certainty, telling JoBlo:

“Yeah, I mean, I wish I could share more, but obviously Fox owns it. It’s just an unfortunate thing. I speak to Sigourney about it sometimes. At this point, it’s kinda like the fire that was burning within me to make that is gone. Stepping outside of even the legal kind of studio-based politics I just feel like its time has come and gone.

So, yeah…I think no. And I say that really reluctantly because I cannot state how much of a fan of Sigourney I am and how much of a fan I am of Alien and Aliens and the idea of doing a sequel to James Cameron’s film is amazing on all levels. But, there’s a point at which when you’re years into it you have to move on. So, I think that has happened to me.”

20th Century Fox hasn’t announced what they’re going to do next with “Alien” following the disappointing returns for ‘Covenant’.

_________________
Webmaster
GOREZONE
Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Post new topic

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum