GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Video Games, Comics, Animation & Toys  ~  THE DARK KNIGHT RISES: New Trailer is here!!!!!!

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42156 Location: Bronx 1990
It looks like Warner Bros. is moving forward with both a Superman movie, a third Batman movie and director Christopher Nolan will be making it happen.

We've been hearing about Warner Bros rebooting the Superman franchise for some time now, but they could never figure out what they wanted to do with it. They've met with several people and have heard a bunch of different pitches, but nothing really grabbed them. So now they've turned to Nolan, who won't write or direct the movie, but he will guide the production in the right direction. Insiders at the studio say he will be playing a Godfather type role in the production process. They realize that his leadership skills will play a huge part in developing the Superman franchise into what it needs to be.

I couldn't be more excited that Nolan is going to be involved in the organization process of the next installment of Superman. If anyone can reboot the franchise successfully it's Nolan. The guy has an amazing creative imagination and he's great at what he does. The film is in the very early stages, and it will not be a follow-up film to Bryan Singer's Superman Returns. It will be interesting to see how big of a role Nolan will play in the production.

As for Batman 3, we recently reported that David Goyer and Jonah Nolan have started writing the script for the movie. This news has been confirmed over at Deadline Hollywood and they report Nolan has hatched an idea for Warner Bros' third Batman installment, and now that idea is being written out.

It's extremely exciting that Batman 3 has begun being developed, and there's no doubt that we're all excited to see what Nolan has planned for the caped crusader in the next chapter of The Dark Knight.

It's awesome that Nolan is involved with Superman, and that Batman 3 is moving forward! I'm sure fans will be very happy to hear this news.

Last edited by Arc-Vile on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
"Batman Begins" and "Blade" scribe David Goyer has been hired to pen "The Man of Steel", the new Superman film at Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures claims an insider for Latino Review.

Goyer apparently has "an idea that actually takes the movies back to the John Byrne incarnation. Modern. Believable. FUN!". This incarnation would have no link to "Superman Returns", so Brandon Routh will not star and Bryan Singer won't direct.

Their source even went into detail about what to expect content-wise - "I can tell you that Goyer's story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is NOT an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. I know the Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology."

The source also indicates that "Wanted" and "Kick Ass" author Mark Millar's comments about 'almost' getting a new trilogy pitch of his considered are "bullsh*t... he was never even discussed to write it." Millar himself has since repudiated that claim on his message board

The hiring of Goyer, if accurate, is not a big surprise after the news a few weeks back that "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" director Chris Nolan had been brought onboard to produce and oversee a restart of the Superman franchise. Goyer and Nolan co-wrote 'Begins' and Goyer scored a story credit on 'Knight' which Chris and his brother Jonah Nolan co-penned.

When Goyer announced a few weeks ago that he was leaving the day-to-day showrunning of "FlashForward" to concentrate on script work, many jumped on the idea that the work in question was a third Nolan-directed Batman. Instead it's likely that film will follow the 'Knight' formula with Goyer and Nolan planning the story and the Nolan brothers going off to write the script. Chris Nolan is famous for not even considering other projects until his work on his current one (in this case "Inception") is complete around mid-year.

The 'John Byrne incarnation' of Superman mentioned above refers to acclaimed author/comic writer Byrne's reboot of the character in the comics in 1986 in a six-part mini-series entitled, funnily enough, 'The Man of Steel'. Byrne took the character back to basics by significantly reducing Superman's powers. In this incarnation his foster parents are still alive, Clark Kent himself is more of an extrovert, there is no Fortress of Solitude and people are unaware of Superman having an alter-ego (thus aren't suspicious of Kent).

UPDATE (12/25): IGN is now claiming that "The Dark Knight" co-scribe Jonah Nolan will be working with Goyer on the project and that the studio is gunning to get the project moving. IESB claims that Jonah Nolan has already handed in a first draft of "Batman 3". No-one has yet made any official comment on any of this at present, making this still all conjecture for now.

J-Fly
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 1286
we a see if it happens
i like the wakaswski brothers idea of doing it

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
There's been a lot of great news coming out of Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment recently. We've got word that Christopher Nolan is back on board to direct the third Batman film and that he will act as a producer on the Superman reboot. It's also been confirmed that David Goyer and Jonah Nolan would be writing both of those films as well. On top of that it looks like The Flash could be moving into development soon with Greg Beralnti attached to direct.

Now today, IESB is reporting a rumor that Chris Nolan's little brother Jonah Nolan could end up in the director's chair for the Superman reboot, The Man of Steel. There is no solid confirmation of this rumor yet, but I'm not sure if it's going to play out. They say, "a key reason behind Chris’ "Godfather" role is to help out li’l brother Jonah. "Why’s that?" you ask. Because latest rumblings peg him to sit in the director’s chair for the Superman reboot."

This would be Jonah's first directing gig for a feature film, and I just don't see Warner Bros. handing over $150 - $200 million dollar movie over to a guy that has never directed a movie before. Jonah is a solidly good screenwriter, but can he direct? I guess if big brother is guiding him through it, maybe it makes sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what WB and DC has planned.

As for Chris Nolan, rumors are swirling around that he will shepherd his Batman franchise, Superman, The Green Lantern, and The Flash toward a Justice League movie, much like what Marvel is doing with there characters, and that he will direct it.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
In his first interview in quite some time, "The Dark Knight" director Chris Nolan has finally gone on the record about the state of the Superman and Batman franchises in a lengthy piece for The Los Angeles Times.

The full interview isn't even on the site, it's only available in the print edition. For those who don't have access or time though lets cut to the chase and get the important information:

Batman 3

Jonathan Nolan is working on the script at present - "My brother is writing a script for me and we’ll wait to see how it turns out...he’s struggling to put it together into the epic story that you want it to be.”

Though he won't confirm if he will direct, the main appeal for Nolan to return is to give his creation an ending, making his work unfold in the classic film trilogy mold: "Batman Begins" (re)introducing the characters, "The Dark Knight" taking our protagonist and Gotham City to the brink, and a third one essentially resolving everything.

"Without getting into specifics, the key thing that makes the third film a great possibility for us is that we want to finish our story and in viewing it as the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story” says Nolan who won't even hint at the villain beyond one possibility - "it won't be Mr. Freeze".

Don't expect Bruce Wayne to just continue on in Gotham either it seems, Nolan says he's "very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we’ve done with the characters... viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we’re telling and it hearkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories."

Superman

“It’s very exciting, we have a fantastic story and we feel we can do it right. We know the milieu, if you will, we know the genre and how to get it done right” says Nolan.

Unlike Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" which owed a lot to Richard Donner's vision of the character in the earlier movies, Nolan's plans will take their own approach.

That approach actually came from writer David Goyer who is penning the script. Goyer told his idea to Nolan who said "I immediately got it, loved it and thought: That is a way of approaching the story I’ve never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting."

Off-handedly he shoots down rumors of his involvement in a "Justice League" movie as he believes his Superman will exist in a different world to that of his Batman - "Each serves to the internal logic of the story. They have nothing to do with each other."

He also shoots down reports of his brother helming the film, saying he has no idea who will direct the project but his involvement will be akin to Peter Jackson's hands-on producing roles on Neill Blomkamp's "District 9" and Guillermo del Toro's "The Hobbit".

Dancing Stevie Richards
Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Mad Scientist Joined: 15 Nov 2006 Posts: 1880 Location: sorta Pittsburgh
Arc-Vile wrote:
"it won't be Mr. Freeze".

As a huge Mr. Freeze fan, I am highly disappointed. Cry
Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Dancing Stevie Richards wrote:
Arc-Vile wrote:
"it won't be Mr. Freeze".

As a huge Mr. Freeze fan, I am highly disappointed. Cry

I think he meant it as it wont be like BATMAN & ROBIN...

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It often hurts my head when I think or hear about the acors who were primarily offered roles, that ultimately went to other people. The movies would have obviously and undoubtedly been COMPLETELY different. For example: Will Smith was the original choice for Neo in The Matrix. Stuart Townsend was replaced by Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn a mere week before he was to begin shooting The Lord Of the Rings. But the closest call perhaps was Eric Stoltz, who shot several scenes as Marty McFly before being replaced by Michael J. Fox in Back To The Future.

Now curiosity has finally cleared up a long believed rumor that Jack Nicholson almost lost the part of the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman, to none other than Willem Dafoe. It's hard to imagine anyone else in the iconic role, but Dafoe can play crazy with the best of them. Let's not forget that he made a perfect Green-Goblin in Spider-Man!

MTV went straight to Dafoe himself for official word on the rumor. Though the actor denied that he was ever considered for the role of the Joker, he did confirm that he had an early attachment to the 1989 film. Dafoe explained:

Very early, they talked to me about playing Batman.

The role of the Caped Crusader would go on to be played by Michael Keaton. Like Heath Ledger as the Joker in Dark Knight, Keaton was viewed as an unconventional pick for the role, but his performance was ultimately embraced by many fans. Though it's not hard for me to picture Dafoe under the cowl, it's a bit more difficult to imagine him as Bruce Wayne, but he insisted it almost happened:

I hate to spread these things because unless you remember it well, you're stoking the fires of bull$h*^. But I remember [it]. I've had my brush with these things.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Last October, we reported that back in the 80's Willem Dafoe was almost cast as Tim Burton's Batman/Bruce Wayne. Now, MTV has unfurled yet another casting close-call for a beloved DC Comics character, this time for the Man of Steel... but don't think the Dark Knight has nothing to do with this!

Back in 2003, before Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns and before Christian Bale would become the Caped Crusader in Christopher Nolan’s Batman Begins, Bale was apparently one of only two actors that met with director Wolfgang Petersen, for a starring role in Batman vs. Superman. But Bale wasn't being looked at for Batman, along with Josh Harnett, he met met Petersen for the role of Superman!!!

Imagine that??? It's hard to imagine Bale out of the black body armor, and into the red and blue tights. But Petersen – director other big budget blockbuster fare such as Air Force One, Outbreak, The Perfect Storm and The Neverending Story – said the film nearly happened.

Petersen explained:

It was pretty close, and then the studio got a single Superman script I think from J.J. Abrams at that time, and [Warner Bros. chief] Alan Horn was so torn – because it’s such a fascinating concept to do a Batman versus Superman film. And I still think it would be to do that. But the studio decided to try separate version of Superman and Batman, and then maybe think about down the road if you want to bring them together in one film.

Brett Ratner would go on to be attached to direct the Abrams project, which moved far enough along to audition and screen test actors for the role of Superman, such as Brendan Fraser; and attach Anthony Hopkins as Jor-El, Superman's father.

Like Petersen’s iteration, the Ratner/Abrams project would ultimately collapse, with Warner Bros. joined with Bryan Singer for Superman Returns, which starred Brandon Routh.

We all know how well Nolan's Batman films did, but Petersen has only good will towards the Dark Knight, and is just as big a fan as anyone:

Petersen said:

I loved Dark Knight, I was completely sucked into it, blown away by it. I thought right away it deserved an Academy Award for Best Picture, and I was really disappointed that it didn’t get it. I thought Heath Ledger was just phenomenal. I am a big fan of that movie.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Warners has also revealed they are "nearing a greenlight" for a film based on the superhero "The Flash", and are targeting a Holiday 2012 release for the "Superman" reboot Chris Nolan is producing.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Empire Magazine has done a rather epic interview with "Inception" director Christopher Nolan and got him to talk a little bit more about both a third "Batman" and the "Superman" reboot he's attached to 'mentor'.

Nolan still hasn't officially signed on to direct the next "Batman" and he says its due to workload - "the God's honest truth is I work on one movie at a time. I'm only capable of doing that, so my head will continue to be firmly in ['Inception'] for another few months."

His brother Jonah is currently working on the script and Nolan is excited about it because he "particularly like(s) where we are taking the characters and what the ending is... There are things for me to be very excited about in addressing the characters again."

He once again confirmed that the film will essentially be the capper of a trilogy rather than a random third entry - "the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story."

One thing he did shoot down are some villain possibilities. Firstly he "emphatically and unhesitatingly" said we will NOT see the return of The Joker with someone else taking on the late Heath Ledger's role - "No, I just don't feel comfortable about it." It also looks like The Penguin and Mr. Freeze are definitely not out.

What about a DC style superhero teacup project? No chance. "Superman is very specifically superpowered and obviously otherworldly; Batman is very human and flawed... there's an elemental feeling of power in the iconography of those characters. To me that's originally because they stood alone. I need to hang on to that in my imagining of them."

So what exactly is his involvement in the new "Superman"? Nolan says David Goyer pitched him a new approach to the Man of Steel one day, and Nolan "thought it was really tremendous. It was the first time I had been able to conceive of how you would address Superman in a modern context."

He took that idea to Warners, they liked it and now "It's something we were just trying to put together a vision for, and then find the right person to take it forward... it's not something for me to direct."

Like his take on "Batman" which went back to the character's darker and more serious roots, Nolan says that approach is what's needed with Superman - "what makes those the best superhero characters there are, the most beloved after all this time, is the essence of who those characters were when they were created and when they were first developed. And you can't ever move too far from that."

Finally he discussed "Inception" which he says is "absolutely my Bond film. I've been plundering ruthlessly from the Bond movies in everything I've done, forever. They're a huge influence on me." Nolan also said his favourite is "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" because "it's by far the most emotional" and he tried to achieve a similar "balance of action, scale, and romanticism and tragedy and emotion" in "Inception".

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
The Riddler being the villain of the next "Batman" film has been upgraded from wild rumor to regular rumor.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
SUPERMAN: Both Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") and Tom Welling ("Smallville") have stated they're definitely open to reprising the role of the Man of Steel for the Chris Nolan-produced "Superman" reboot.

J-Fly
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 1286
i want the riddler and some how tie him in with what the jokeer was doing in tdk

we know the joker aint that clever

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
J-Fly wrote:
i want the riddler and some how tie him in with what the jokeer was doing in tdk

we know the joker aint that clever

Thats what I think they will do, especially with Ledger dead and Nolan saying he wont have another actor as Joker.