GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Video Games, Comics, Animation & Toys  ~  GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42147 Location: Bronx 1990
Live GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDGc0KAKzXY&feature=player_embedded

Several months out from release, AMC Theaters held a live chat with director James Gunn, actor Chris Pratt and Marvel's Kevin Feige for the upcoming film adaptation of the Marvel comic "Guardians of the Galaxy". The full 30-minute chat can be viewed below.

No new footage or surprise guests were shown, but plenty of new details have come forth about the film which Gunn describes as having "a lot of old-school space opera about it."

Asked about the film's connection to the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe, Feige says: "[It] couldn't be more distant in geography to the other films. 99% of this movie takes place on the other side of the galaxy. Nevermind the themes and character interaction... there are a handful of characters you'll see in this movie who will carry through to other films as threats to Earth."

While adapting all the characters was difficult, Gunn says Michael Rooker's Yondu character in particular "was a big deal... he has a more delicate superpower... If you believe who they are as characters and what their intentions are, then it works... You have to fall in love with a talking raccoon and believe that he exists. Take these outlandish concepts, make it fun, but making it as believable as possible."

The characters of 'Bug' and 'Tantalus' were in early drafts but didn't make the film. Asked about fan-favorite Cosmo, Feige says: "Rocket was always going to be the focus. But, fans of Cosmo will have to wait and see the movie."

Asked about the use of 'Hooked on a Feeling' in the trailer, Gunn says: "There's a lot of things that people will find out when they see the movie. The song's in the movie. We know about the Walkman. Quill has a Sony Walkman and that song's on his mixtape."

The whole point of the project according to Feige was "to do something new... something original... doing something, frankly, that most people had never heard of." Gunn adds: "I do think that it is a completely original movie, and I do think that it is a character piece at the core of it."

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's "Guardians" comic story lines heavily inspired the film, the humour in particular. Pratt spent seven months losing weight and getting into fighting fit shape for his role as Star-Lord.

Asked about additional shooting, Feige says "we build that in from the very beginning on the actor's schedules, in the actual budget. We always build in additional time for when a cool idea comes up. James has had some cool ideas so we're going to get after that."

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The new issue of EW not only features three new photos from Marvel's ambitious and cheeky space opera "Guardians of the Galaxy," it also boasts quotes from director James Gunn about how this movie fits into future Marvel movies.

Though labelled "only stand-alone adventure" of Marvel's Phase Two, the events here are "definitely connected to The Avengers 3". A big part of that is the villain Thanos who will be portrayed through motion-capture.

In relation to the other villains in the movie, Thanos is "the head of the snake." He's also got a big hand in the back stories of Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Nebula (Karen Gillan): "Thanos slaughtered [Gamora's] family and Nebula's, then raised them together as siblings. They were bio engineered to become living weapons, so he's really good at killing people."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Josh Brolin Playing Marvel's Thanos!!!!

We won't be seeing him fully stretch his evil muscles until his role as the main antagonist in the third "The Avengers" film in 2018. However, this coming August, we might just be hearing the voice of the alien menace Thanos for the first time.

Latino Review reports that whilst we have glimpsed the purple-skinned villain for all of a few seconds at the end of "Marvel's The Avengers," they have learned that James Gunn's upcoming "Guardians of the Galaxy" includes a scene in its third act with Thanos on a "rocket throne".

It has been suggested the appearance is long enough that someone is going to have to provide the voice of the Mad Titan. According to their sources, that person will be Josh Brolin. From the sounds of it the performance will be voice only, not motion capture as well.

Deadline followed the report up, not only confirming Brolin's casting but saying it actually happened months ago and Brolin has already completed all his voiceover work.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The recent casting of Josh Brolin as the voice of Thanos in Marvel's upcoming "Guardians of the Galaxy" isn't a huge surprise considering the giant purple Marvel supervillain character has long been rumored to play a role in the wacky outer space saga.

Whilst he won't fully shine until the third "The Avengers" in 2018, his presence will be felt in 'Guardians'. Vulture claims to have details on that presence, saying it will be more than just another post-credits appearance.

POTENTIAL "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" SPOILERS AHEAD

According to them, the character first appears and will spend most of his brief appearance communicating via a hologram. He will be a behind-the-scenes figure throughout, essentially pulling the strings of the two villains of 'Guardians' - Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace) and Nebula (Karen Gillan).

The character will apparently share a scene in the flesh with those two as well, will be referenced often and fearfully by others, and apparently will sport familial ties with Gamora (Zoe Saldana).

The site also claims that one of the Infinity Stones, referred to by Benicio del Toro's The Collector character in the film as the Power Stone, will play a part in the plot.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
An apparent first review of Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" has gone online over at Latino Review.

Most of it isn't actually a review, so much as a sequence-by-sequence breakdown of what sounds like much of the film's first two acts. The last two paragraphs though is an actual review and highlights the film's strengths and weaknesses. Here's an excerpt:

"Unlike any other Marvel movie, a lot more comedic than expected. The prison escape sequence is brilliant [and] Rocket steals the show. As expected, lots of neat easter eggs in The Collector's collection... I was impressed with how well you knew most of the characters by the end. The soundtrack plays a huge part, both in the setting tone and being part of the story.

It's not perfect. There are parts that drag, some action sequences that aren't as strong as one might hope, and some puzzling/unexplained motivations. The good news is that there's time to fix these things and, even if they don't solve everything, it'll still be a lot of fun. No matter what, I will absolutely be in line to go see it opening day."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

After nearly two years of work, filmmaker James Gunn is putting the finishing touches on his "Guardians of the Galaxy" film ahead of its opening next month. With the film's press junket soon to begin, he spoke about the end of the process on his Facebook page:

"I swear, I've gotten angry with filmmakers like Ridley Scott and George Lucas who can't let go of their old films and want to keep going back and offering up different versions, but I can easily see myself doing that now.

This is essentially my last week of actually making Guardians of the Galaxy. It's been two years straight and I've starting to become terrified of actually having to STOP. But on July 7, I leave for Singapore to begin the press tour so I suppose I really have no choice.

There isn't much left. I'm still playing with the sound mix and the 3D and the DI (digital intermediate - basically the color-timing) - and there are some outstanding visual effects shots. But I still want to do what I can with what I have left to make the most stunning film I can for you guys on August 1!

I think the Marvel producers are starting to understand my almost psychotic inability to be happy with anything, and to pick apart things to the very bitter end. They're going to have to tear this movie from my bloody grip. Aagh.

I'm starting to get very sad every time I think of how I'm going to miss all of the people I've been working with side-by-side for the past two years. And - to show you how strange I really am - I get teary-eyed when I think of how I won't be working with Rocket (at least for a little while). He's been the center of my life for a long time now, and I've come to love the little son-of-a-bitch. Really. Let's be honest. I'm getting teary-eyed now writing those words. And yes that may be a sign that I really am in need of a break. But for now, it's back to work. Love to you all."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
New trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEg9y9QliXc

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
James Gunn tells Moviefone that the upcoming film boasts a "ton" of Marvel references, in fact there's around four times as many in here as there are in any previous Marvel movie"

"I actually have to clear everything with legal. We put in little things like graffiti on the walls and stuff like that. There's a ton of characters from the comics in this movie, in little tiny roles. But we have to clear everything with legal because once I use their name then I'm screwed in that scene or whatever. We have just tons of reference to Marvel Cosmic throughout the movie. And I'm certain probably the most Marvel comics characters ever in one movie."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Marvel Studios has confirmed that the "Guardians of the Galaxy" sequel is the film that it is set to release on July 28th 2017.

The reveal was done by director James Gunn and star Chris Pratt who shot a pre-recorded message for Marvel's Comic Con panel. No further mention was made of "Doctor Strange" or what the studio has planned for all those release dates they've secured in recent weeks.

Earlier during Con, Gunn revealed to Film Divider that he already has several ideas in place for the sequel:

"I know a lot of where I want to go. I have a lot of ideas for stories and characters that are going to appear, and there are documents written up, that some people have, about Peter Quill’s father and his relationship, a lot of stuff about Yondu and a lot of stuff about Drax that nobody knows.

There are a lot of things that are part of the overall schematic that already exist, not to mention a lot of stuff about all of the cultures. There’s a lot of stuff about Xandarian and Kree culture that I’ve written down or I have in my head, as well as Krylorians and Ravagers.

Kevin Feige has stuff. I wrote up a lot. He knows all the stuff and if I died tomorrow they could go make a movie. They could write the story of Peter Quill’s father and it would all be there.

I think Yondu is a very important character, a really important character in this universe, and I think Nebula is really important too and so I think we’ll see more of both of those characters."

Gunn also says he already has a few songs in mind for the next film's "Awesome Mix Tape".

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Rather than taking a well-deserved weekend off in the wake of the release of "Guardians of the Galaxy," filmmaker James Gunn has revealed on Facebook that he's instead spent that time getting to work on the sequel. In a lengthy post this afternoon, following the $94 million domestic and $160 million worldwide opening, he said the following:

"Thanks to all of you who saw (and are seeing) Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend, from the bottom of my heart. The Guardians are a group of oddballs, outcasts, and geeks. The movie is for anyone who ever felt cast aside, left out, or different. It's for all of us who don't belong. This movie belongs to you. And, today, I think we're doing okay.

I am of course happy with all the film has accomplished box-office-wise. But what touches me the most is that the film I told the folks at Marvel I wanted to make two years ago is the film that you're seeing in theaters today - it's that so many of you seem to be directly EXPERIENCING the film I INTENDED. The cast, the producers, the crew, and I felt like we were making something special while we were making it. But it is very rare that a director's INTENTIONS in creating a film, or a scene, or a character, or a line of dialogue are, seemingly, specifically what is experienced by an audience (not to mention critics!), and that seems to be what has happened here. You have allowed a talking raccoon - for a moment, a minute, or a day - to make you a little more human. And for that, I am profoundly grateful.

If I relied on myself to implement these intentions, the film would be a shambling mess. But instead, I had a wonderful cast, genius producers, an incredibly brave studio, sublimely talented visual effects artists, great editors, and the best damn crew of mostly-British bastards to actually implement these intentions for me. Where I had a good idea they would, through alchemy, transform it into a great one. Many of you involved are friends of mine on Facebook. Many of you will read this somewhere else. I love you all.

You may remember me posting here a couple weeks ago how sad I was to be finishing up the film, that I was having trouble letting go of Rocket, and that I was going to miss him. But seeing him (and Groot, and the rest of the team) embraced by the world like they have been, to be UNDERSTOOD, makes it a wonderful letting go. It's like giving a foster pet up for adoption to the most wonderful parents in the world.

And, of course, I'm not really saying goodbye as, while many of you have been enjoying the film, I've spent this weekend hard at work on the sequel. I couldn't help myself! The results are nice but it's really the creative process I love and that keeps me going. I'm on fire with this thing! The Guardians have so many hardships and heartaches and triumphs ahead of them, and I can't wait to share them with all of you. Onto week two…

Love, James

The sequel is currently scheduled for a July 2017 release.

Arc-Vile
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY end spoiler!

Most of you have probably already seen it and know that the movie ends with a beaten up Collector (Benicio Del Toro) having a drink with one Howard the Duck. Well according to multiple sources including the Nerdist, the voice of said duck was played by Robot Chicken co-creator and Family Guy voice actor Seth Green.

There is speculation that the role had been offered to Nathan Fillion but the actor passed in hopes of landing a larger role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe later on… but again, that is speculation based on comments from director James Gunn.

Howard of course is infamous in the film world for being one of the biggest theatrical flops of all times thanks to the George Lucas‘ 1986 movie.

Arc-Vile
Guardians of the Galaxy ended up taking in $94 million over the weekend according to BOM, wiping away the previous record held by The Bourne Ultimatium which bowed at $69.3 in 2007.

The movie came in just barely under the opening weekend for Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million) and above Thor: The Dark World ($85.7 million) which is pretty remarkable since both of those were sequels and the Guardians was filled with unknown characters.

Add in the international markets and the movie brought in $160.4 million world wide. Not bad for a movie with a talking raccoon and tree.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
One of the biggest scenes in Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" is the one that many Marvel fans have been waiting for - the Marvel Cinematic Universe finally dealing with the topic of the Infinity Stones (or Infinity Gems in the comics).

Following on from his post-"Thor" sequel tease, the scene with The Collector (Benicio del Toro) finally sees an explanation of the nature of the six highly-coveted Infinity Stones. The scene confirms that the Tesseract from "The Avengers," the Aether from "Thor: The Dark World" and the Orb in 'Guardians' are three of the stones. The other three are unknown but at least two of them are briefly glimpsed in holographic form in the scene.

That puts them well ahead of The Avengers themselves who are still much more in the dark about Thanos and his long-term plan. James Gunn talked with Hitfix about the scene:

"These are people that see a little bit more of the big picture because that's where they are, I guess. On Earth, these other guys, The Avengers, they're not quite tuned in to the bigger picture. They only see a little tiny piece of it. They're holding the ear of the elephant in the dark room. The Collector is… he's got all the lights on."

Gunn was ecstatic that he got to help setup the lore of the Infinity Gems and discussed what role he played in the final results on screen:

"We talked early on about having Thanos in the movie, which, believe me I was excited to have Thanos in the movie because a) I love Thanos and b) I want people who have seen The Avengers to go see this because we're connected to it. There was no fight from me having Thanos in the movie. But for me, I wrote a group of characters with the plot points I wanted to write and the stuff that's connected to the rest of the Marvel universe was very exciting for me to be a part of. To just sit down and create what the Infinity Gems are, I got to sit down and add to the overall Marvel universe and build up the Marvel universe, because I got to create that. And that was very exciting to me."

He also cleared up a debate about which stone is which. Kevin Feige previously confirmed the Tesseract is the Space Gem, and Gunn how now confirmed the stone in 'Guardians' is the Power Gem. It's assumed the Aether is the 'Reality' gem and that the stone in Loki's sceptre could be the 'Mind' gem which will potentially come into play in "Avengers: Age of Ultron". That leaves the 'Time' gem and 'Soul' gem still in play, one of which may well be worked into "Doctor Strange".

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2

With Marvel Studios' "Guardians of the Galaxy" now out and in cinemas, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige has been able to talk spoilers and where the next entry in the franchise, "Guardians of the Galaxy 2," could go.

In a recent interview with IGN UK, Feige was asked about the hints revealed in the film's final few scenes regarding Peter Quill's biological father. Will that be the central storyline of the next film?

"I think it is pretty important. I think there's a reason we seeded it at the very end of the film like that. I think that would certainly be part of a next Guardians adventure. Certainly, that would be part of it."

Thanos' daughter Nebula (Karen Gillan) appears to make it out of the film alive, which would indicate they plan to do more with her. Is that the case?

"I would say any character that doesn't overtly perish is certainly fair game to come back. If people know the comic lore, Nebula has a lot of varying different roles to play over the course of a lot of different titles in the comics. We have somebody like Karen, and you have a look that is so weird and so great. I think that's something we'd all like to see again."

Finally,there's the issue of when The Avengers and the Guardians will team-up. Feige sadly is still keeping his answers vague:

"You know, the fun about The Avengers, as we we're gearing up to that, was 'how would Tony Stark deal with goody two-shoes Steve Rogers in World War II?' What would Tony Stark think of a Norse god who wields a hammer? The brilliance of Joss [Whedon] was having fun with that.

So who knows if and when these guys would ever connect, but it is fun thinking about, how would Steve Rogers react to Rocket? Or, you're right, Drax couldn't even have a conversation with Tony Stark! [Laughs] I have a theory that the more time Drax spends with Peter Quill, the more he's going to start to learn, perhaps, that people aren't always as literal as his species would assume.

Dancing Stevie Richards
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Mad Scientist Joined: 15 Nov 2006 Posts: 1880 Location: sorta Pittsburgh
Saw the film last night, and it blew me away! Strikes a great balance between comedic moments and emotionally touching ones. Everyone played their parts well, and there's some scenes that are breathtakingly beautiful. The film also had one of the best soundtracks of any film I've seen in years!

I also clapped after the post-credits stinger.

I'm so excited for GOTG2.