GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Video Games, Comics, Animation & Toys  ~  GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 42147 Location: Bronx 1990
Dancing Stevie Richards wrote:
Saw the film last night, and it blew me away! Strikes a great balance between comedic moments and emotionally touching ones. Everyone played their parts well, and there's some scenes that are breathtakingly beautiful. The film also had one of the best soundtracks of any film I've seen in years!

I also clapped after the post-credits stinger.

I'm so excited for GOTG2.

Happy to read that you liked it! We saw it twice on the opening weekend and loved it.

Rocket was amazing but Drax almost steal the show as he was too funny!

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
With Marvel's "Guardians Of The Galaxy" now out in many territories, it's time to talk both that surprise end credits stinger and the film's already announced sequel.

SPOILERS AHEAD

The film's director James Gunn recent sat down with Empire to discuss just those two things. First up, that stinger featuring an appearance by Howard The Duck:

"I think it was some combination of me and the editor Fred Raskin who said, 'Let's put Howard The Duck in there. What if The Collector looks over and sees Howard The Duck sitting there?' And I wrote down the line, 'Whaddya let it lick you like that for? Gross.' Fred and I thought it was hilarious, but we weren't sure that (Head of Marvel Studios) Kevin Feige would go for it. But we told Kevin and Kevin couldn't stop laughing, so that's how it came about."

Does this mean we'll one day get a new "Howard the Duck" movie?

"I'll be honest with you, I was just talking about it with my assistant right now. It's possible Howard could reappear as more of a character in the Marvel Universe. But if people think that's going to lead to a Howard The Duck movie, that's probably not going to happen in the next four years. Who knows after that?"

Onto the sequel and the first film ends with the mystery about the identity of Peter Quill's biological father. Many have speculated who it might be since the film's opening, and Gunn confirms that it isn't J'son, Emperor of the Spartoi Empire like it is in the comics:

"There have been a lot of documents passed around about who Peter Quill's father is between a select two or three of us. That's been part of the plan since the beginning, that's something I had to work out before we shot the screenplay. We wanted to make sure Yondu's place in everything made sense and it does, so it's all very specific stuff. It's definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I'll say that much."

Will big, bad Thanos show up in the 'Guardians' sequel? From the sounds of it that's not in their plans at the moment:

"He will show up [in the sequel] if he helps our story and he will not show up at all if he is not. Thanos is not the most important thing in Guardians 2, that's for damn sure. There's the Guardians themselves and other threats the Guardians are going to be facing that are not Thanos.

I think Thanos has been lonely for a long time. He can handle it. He's used to his loneliness. He's got some other kids out there. He's got to look after them. Nebula's probably the sweetest of them, which tells you what his kids are like."

"Guardians of the Galaxy 2" is currently slated for release in 2017.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
His hiring earlier this year was met with a very enthusiastic response, and now Josh Brolin has given IGN UK an extensive interview regarding his role as the Marvel villain Thanos in "Guardians of the Galaxy" and several other upcoming Marvel films.

Brolin says he doesn't know of Thanos' planned arc in its entirety, but he does have an idea: "I know what one appearance is going to be for sure. There's one or two that I don't know."

He says both the comics and Marlon Brando's performance in "Apocalypse Now" are big inspirations for him in the role. When he accepted the role, he was in the midst of filming a mountain climbing movie: "they sent me so much frickin’ research. I was in the middle of doing Everest, and I was focusing more on Thanos than I was on Everest. But it’s an exciting prospect, truly.”

He was also asked about the character's romance with the female character of Death in the comics. He says: "His relationship with Death, who is actually the woman, I love that. You can take Sin City [his character, a man obsessed with a dark-hearted woman] and pump it full of steroids, and then you have Thanos. I like that he's motivated by that - not just motivated by destruction or death or this or that. He's motivated by a very identifiable, human trait."

Dancing Stevie Richards
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Mad Scientist Joined: 15 Nov 2006 Posts: 1880 Location: sorta Pittsburgh
Arc-Vile wrote:
Dancing Stevie Richards wrote:
Saw the film last night, and it blew me away! Strikes a great balance between comedic moments and emotionally touching ones. Everyone played their parts well, and there's some scenes that are breathtakingly beautiful. The film also had one of the best soundtracks of any film I've seen in years!

I also clapped after the post-credits stinger.

I'm so excited for GOTG2.

Happy to read that you liked it! We saw it twice on the opening weekend and loved it.

Rocket was amazing but Drax almost steal the show as he was too funny!
Groot gave me both the biggest laugh and the biggest emotional moments of the film. But like I said, everyone got their moments to shine.
Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, its a great film!

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
"Guardians of the Galaxy" scene stealer Dave Bautista may be involved in more Marvel films than just the upcoming 'Guardians' sequel.

PWMania has posted up a piece about the WWE future of Bautista, saying Marvel Studios are "currently restructuring his contract that will likely see him get more money due to the success of Guardians of the Galaxy."

They go on to say: "This will also lock Batista in for a number of other Marvel movies. Batista is slated for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well as the 3rd Avengers movie, where he will have a significant role. That movie will be a few years down the road."

It certainly sounds like Batista's WWE career will come second to his film career in the future, but it also sounds speculative regarding the extent of Bautista's potential involvement as Drax the Destroyer in the third "Avengers".

They also say Batista has received a substantial deal to star in the "Kickboxer" remake with UFC star Georges St. Pierre.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
The recent "Guardians of the Galaxy" marked the debut of Josh Brolin as the Marvel Cinematic Universe super villain Thanos. It was our first look at the Mad Titan who will become a central antagonist in future films.

Speaking with The Guardian this week, Brolin discussed his joining of Marvel's Cinematic Universe and says the project appeared at just the right time:

"Right after No Country for Old Men, I got offered a big, big, big movie. It just didn't feel right to me. Then something like Marvel comes along. We did "Guardians of the Galaxy" and it felt perfect. I still feel great about that project... I like what it represents."

Brolin also compared the film's director James Gunn to some of the more art house-like directors he's worked with before such as Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coen Brothers:
"The (career) trajectory. It's very difficult for me not to look at the whole trajectory. The minute I get pigeonholed as some art-house guy, I love the idea of doing something different. It's not the genre I'm going for. It's not the title I'm going for. It's the role, or the type of director.

I think (Guardians director) James Gunn is so amazing. (When) I met with those Marvel guys (Marvel Studios co-president Louis D'Esposito and president Kevin Feige) ... I just loved seeing them and what they were about. They're really just kind of geeks (for) story. They love story and they don't try to hide it under any kind of coolness. 'This movie's going to make a lot of money' or 'This is going to do something for your career' - there's none of that talk.

The Coen Brothers are the same way. P. T. Anderson is the same way. So I don't really see any difference between my conversations with Marvel and my conversations with P. T. Anderson."

In other Marvel news, Stan Lee was recently involved in a Twitter Q&A where he revealed that his appearance in the upcoming "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is his favorite Marvel cameo to date.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Marvel and Disney have revealed the full details for the Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD releases of Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" which comes to disc on December 9th.

The breakdown of the special features confirms that the disc release will NOT include a new Marvel One-Shot, but instead it will boast an "Exclusive Look at Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron". The clip will be on all formats, as will a handful of deleted scenes.

The Blu-ray versions also include a featurette, a gag reel and an audio commentary. 'Guardians' is still playing in cinemas, raking in $314.5 million domestically so far.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Lee Pace has previously indicated in interviews that he'd love to reprise the role of Ronan the Accuser in a sequel to Marvel Studios' "Guardians of the Galaxy," despite his character's ultimate fate.

Sadly, filmmaker James Gunn won't be able to do it. Gunn revealed in a Facebook post that Pace will definitely not be back for the next 'Guardians' film, though he doesn't rule out the possibility of Ronan's return in a future film.

Just last week, Pace said: "I love the character. I'd love to play him again! Who knows!?". "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" is currently slated for a May 5th 2017 release.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Following his comments last week discussing the early state of the script, filmmaker James Gunn has now spoken a bit more about the "Guardians of the Galaxy" sequel with social media service Periscope.

The first film was primarily shot at Shepperton Studios in the United Kingdom, however the new one will be based out of Pinewood Studios in Atlanta where "Ant-Man" was shot and the upcoming "Captain America: Civil War" will be filmed. Shooting on the next film is slated to begin February 2016.

Gunn confirmed that he's turned in a treatment for the film, had a meeting about the movie this week, and will start working on the full screenplay next week. That said, there probably won't be that much to do. Gunn's treatment, or "pre-draft version" of the script is "very, very far along" and currently says that it clocks in at seventy pages.

According to him, the entire film has already been plotted out, now it's just a case of translating it into screenplay format and writing the dialogue. Gunn has also confirmed that not only will Karen Gillan’s Nebula return, he says he may have found a way for her to appear without the former "Doctor Who" actress having to shave her head again.

"Guardians of the Galaxy 2" is currently slated for a May 5th 2017 release.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, the official title for the @Guardians sequel is GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Director James Gunn continues offering spoiler-free updates on the "Guardians of the Galaxy" sequel through his social media channels.

Over the weekend he confirmed on Twitter that he has cast both the actor playing Star-Lord's Dad, and the one playing the main villian in the upcoming "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" at Marvel Studios.

He would not reveal the identity of either actor, not uncommon as Marvel's "Iron Fist" series on Netflix has reportedly also cast its title character but the studio will not reveal their name at this point.

Gunn would also not reveal either character's name, beyond only saying he's not the same character in the comics which he revealed some time ago.

Gunn says it took almost exactly a year to write and finalize the "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" script and claims Marvel hasn't given him a single budgetary restriction.

He also confirmed that he has discussed "Avengers: Infinity War" with the Russo Bros. on several occasions, and that Tyler Bates is scoring the sequel and Gunn has already received the first cues.

The "Guardians" sequel is scheduled to begin shooting in Atlanta shortly ahead of a May 5th 2017 release.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
Production on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is about the get underway and director James Gunn took to his Facebook page once again in anticipation of shooting highly-anticipated sequel. While answering questions from fans, he gave definitive answers on the presence of Thanos and the Infinity Stones in the film.

As noted by MCU Exchange, Gunn said, “Thanos will not appear in Vol. 2. No. As I’ve said before, Thanos isn’t in this movie. I think he’s gonna have a little bit to do and say when it comes to a certain wars and infinity. We’ve got other fish to fry in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.”

While there is certainly time to determine the nation of that other fish, Gunn also said the Infinity Stones, a primary staple of Marvel films since Phase Two, are “not really a thing” in his upcoming film. Perhaps the Power Stone will be stolen in the mid-credit scene?

Unmoored from the the ongoing Infinity plot of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is free to tackle that other question left from the first film: the identity of Star-Lord’s father.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 arrives on May 5th, 2017.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Guardians of the Galaxy

Brash space adventurer Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) finds himself the quarry of relentless bounty hunters after he steals an orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain. To evade Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with four disparate misfits: gun-toting Rocket Raccoon, treelike-humanoid Groot, enigmatic Gamora, and vengeance-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when he discovers the orb's true power and the cosmic threat it poses, Quill must rally his ragtag group to save the universe.

Another hit from Marvel. The film plays like the classic sci-fi films of the early 1980s but with updated special fx, cool soundtrack and lots of funny parts. The cast is surprisingly good, especially Drax. As expect, Rocket and Groot are just amazing. A great introduction to the cosmic aspect of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Director: James Gunn
Running time: 122 minutes
Released: 2014

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
James Gunn’s first “Guardians of the Galaxy” focused predominantly on its Infinity Stone plot along with the character arc of Star-Lord (Chris Pratt). With the sequel, Gunn says he set out to give each of the cast members a key arc and motivation this time around.

Speaking with Cinema Blend, Gunn broke down what drives each of the key characters in the new film:

Star-Lord
“That’s the first thing people say when they see the movie. The first movie was about Peter Quill, and the second movie has every single character have a complete arc, a complete story. They each learn something. It’s a story about Peter Quill, with his father, but also his abusive step-father, Yondu.

Gamora
“It’s about Nebula’s relationship with her sister, Gamora, and how that’s not all that we saw in the first movie. It’s a lot deeper and more complicated than that. We thought in the first movie that Gamora was the good guy, and Nebula’s the bad guy, but that really isn’t the whole story.”

Rocket Raccoon
“I think it’s a story about this poor little Rocket, who is in search of a father and in search of a somebody to give a shit, who cannot find it – and maybe does a little bit with Michael Rooker’s character.”

Drax
“It’s about Dave Bautista and Mantis together, who become on the one hand close friends, and then on the other hand she’s a surrogate daughter for the daughter that was murdered.”

Baby Groot
“And of course Baby Groot’s relationship with all of them, they are the worst parents in the entire world! Who else brings a two-year-old son into a giant battle with a giant monster? Terrible parents! And maybe Gamora and Rocket are better than the other two. The other two are terrible. All of those things come together in a way that seems pretty magical.”

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” is currently slated for release on May 5th. No further trailers are expected before release, but several TV spots should air in coming weeks.