GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Area 51  ~  TRON 3

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 41290 Location: Bronx 1990
It looks like we're headed back to The Grid as Disney inches closer to a third Tron movie.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the House of the Mouse is currently in discussions with writer Jesse Wigutow to script this new installment, which would see the return of Legacy director Joseph Kosinski. The move comes following the appointment of new studio head Alan Horn, who - it appears - seems to be a fan of the series (or, if we're being cynical, the franchise's moneymaking potential.)

Wigutow is no stranger to Disney. He's worked on scripts for both Peter and the Starcatchers and Parallel for the studio, the latter seeing him work with Tron 3 producer Justin Springer.

Although critics may have given it a lukewarm reception and despite the general misconception that the movie was a box office flop, Tron: Legacy grossed over $400 million worldwide, certainly enough to spawn a sequel - and indeed, TV prequel in the form of the rather excellent Tron: Uprising, currently airing on Disney XD.

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Eddie the Head
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Flesh Eating Zombie Joined: 10 Nov 2006 Posts: 876 Location: Pennsylvania
And I thought it was a hit. If it was that big, then making a third one is of course natural.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
I love TRON LEGACY!
I want another one and another Daft Punk score!

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Tron 3 has been in the news a lot lately, it was recently announced that Jesse Wigutow would be writing the script and Gerrett Hedlund confirmed he would be reprising his role as Sam Flynn and said that Disney was very excited about doing it. Now, Collider caught up with the director Joseph Kosinski recently, and he offers up some more great info on the film! He talks about their plans on making an epic sequel, the time line of the film, and even revealed that he plans on redesigning the whole world of Tron again! Check it out!

Well the only reason to go back, for me and I think for anyone involved would be if we could do something truly spectacular. We’ve been talking about it for a couple years and there’s always been this idea, a big idea, in the back of my head that we’ve been talking about. The idea itself, the notion of what the next Tron could be, is exciting enough that it would be worth going back to do it. Obviously we hinted some things at the end of Legacy, it’s kind of there for people to see what that potential is. So we just want to make sure that we have a script that delivers on that promise on an epic scale.

I’ve said it would have to be our Empire Strikes Back for me to come back and for me to pull the whole team back together. I think we do have that idea. We do have the idea that feels big and really blows the doors off this franchise. It’s hinted at promises of something for two movies now, for thirty years, so it’s time to deliver on that. But the script’s got to be at a level that makes it worth going back for, because it’s a lot of work to make a movie like this and it’s a multi-year project. So we’ve got our writer Jesse Wigutow on it right now writing, and fingers crossed if it all comes together, as we hope it will, there could be another Tron in the next few years, and it’s going to be awesome.

Well that enough to get me excited for another film! He's sounds very excited and very confident that they can deliver an epic sequel. The director goes on to talk about the timeline of the film explaining,

I think time has passed. It feels like we’re kind of real-time in step. So however much time has passed since Legacy came out would also have transpired in the real world. So it will still be contemporary. So let’s say if the Tron sequel comes out in 2015, then four or five years have passed since the last movie.

One of the things I liked most about Tron: Legacy was the design of the world of Tron. It was incredibly slick and cool, but Kosinski has got somthing else up his sleeve for Tron 3, in fact he wants to completely design that world!

I don’t want to say too much about it but the goal would not be to simply re-use. We’re not going to re-use the assets from Legacy, that’s no fun. If we’re going to do to it, we’re going to reinvent all over again and it’s going to be a whole new generation for reasons that are very story-driven. That’s all I can say.

I thought they might do a few little tweeks to the design, but redesigning the whole world of Tron again is awesomely unexpected! I'm already excited to see what it's going to look like! When the director was asked if this would be his next film project he said,

There is certainly a chance, like I said; we’re writing the script now. Sometimes with these things all the pieces fall into place. I mean, we’ve been talking about this for years and we don’t have the script now, but sometimes things fall into place very quickly, and if everything lines up it could happen. That’s all I can say, it’s too early.

And for those of you wondering if Daft Punk will score the sequel Kosinski says that they will be his first call. He just isn't sure if they'd come back and do it or not. I don't see why they wouldn't, they did such a great job scoring Tron: Legacy.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Tron 3 is currently in the script and concept design phase of development. Disney still has yet to give it an official greenlight, but that will eventually come. In the mean time, it's just gearing up for pre-production. Director Joseph Kosinski is currently making the press rounds for his new sci-fi film Oblivion, but everyone also wants to know about Tron 3.

Empire Magazine caught up with the filmmaker recently and asked about the title. He says they have one, but won't reveal it. As of right now the working title is TR3N. He's then pressed for a little more information on the film project, and this is what he said...

Tron 3 delivers on the promise of Tron Legacy, particular the final scenes. There's a big clue there as to where we'll go with the next one. There's some characters we establish at the beginning of Tron Legacy who have a much larger role in Tron 3.

It's safe to say that one of the characters he's talking about is Cillian Murphy's Edward Dillinger Jr. When asked about the IMAX aspect of Tron 3 he said, "I love IMAX as a format. So, yes, absolutely. It will be an IMAX film."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Want!

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
TRON 3

Director Joseph Kosinski already has plans for it and even is looking to redesign the whole world of Tron again, which I really want to see. Writer Adam Horowitz recently talked to Forbes, saying the plans for the third film are still moving forward,

Hopefully we’ll have some news about what’s going on forward with the next one soon. There’s nothing official to announce now but hopefully soon, but it’s chugging along. It is. Eddie [Kitsis] and I are co-producers on the film. And we have a script that’s being written by a great writer named Jesse Wigutow. And we’re really, really excited. I mean the studio is hopefully excited, but Joe [Kosinski, the director] is involved and everybody’s involved and everybody is waiting to get the go-ahead and we’re hopeful.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Come on! I want TRON 3!!!!!!

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
In decidedly surprising news, not only is a third film in the "Tron" series in the works but it already has a start date.

Vancouver newspaper Vancity Buzz broke the news earlier this morning that Disney Pictures has green lit this follow-up to 2010's "Tron: Legacy" and shooting is slated to begin October 5th this year in the Canadian city where 'Legacy' was also shot.

At this time, only Garrett Hedlund has been confirmed to return to the cast and no plot details are available - though Bad Ass Digest adds that their sources indicate 'Legacy' director Joseph Kosinski is also returning. Timing wise though it looks like the production will move into the space directly after it is used by the third film in the rebooted "Star Trek" franchise which begins shooting there on June 1st.

'Legacy' included a cameo by Cillian Murphy as a character named Edward Dillinger Jr, and during interview rounds for 'Legacy' it was discussed that he would play a larger role in the sequel should it go forward. Whether that's still the case is unknown right now.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
After stalling for a few years, steam continues to pick up on the next film in Disney's "Tron" franchise with Production Weekly reporting today that the movie has a title - "Tron: Ascension".

Joseph Kosinksi is reportedly back to direct and Garrett Hedlund is the only returning cast member at this point for the film, whether Cillian Murphy will reprise his uncredited cameo from "Tron Legacy" we'll have to wait and see.

Murphy did the part so that he could play the main villain of the third film, and a character who was the son of the first "Tron" film's villain Ed Dillinger (David Warner).

The new "Tron" film will shoot in Vancouver starting in October and carry on through until February.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
Olivia Wilde is confirmed to be returning for the upcoming "Tron: Legacy" follow-up that is currently rumored to be titled "Tron: Ascension".

Wilde played Quorra in 2010's 'Legacy' and will rejoin her co-star Garrett Hedlund as Sam Flynn in the new film which Joseph Kosinski is also confirmed to be returning to direct.

At the end of 'Legacy', Sam and Quorra make it to the real world - she is essentially an algorithm made flesh who has escaped the Grid and is now in our reality. 'Ascension' is rumored to show other elements of the Grid making the jump to our reality.

The new "Tron" is currently slated to begin filming this Fall in Vancouver.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Looks like this is now cancelled.

Cry

Arc-Vile
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
With the release of "Pan" in cinemas this past weekend, the film's young and spunky interpretation of Captain Hook - actor Garrett Hedlund - has been out doing some press rounds.

Hedlund certainly knows his way around big blockbusters, most notably serving as the star of "TRON: Legacy" in 2010. Not that long ago it looked as if a third "TRON" was on the way to begin shooting this Fall in Vancouver with Hedlund, Olivia Wilde and director Joseph Kosinski slated to return.

That fell apart though and Disney cancelled development on the project earlier this year. Asked about whether the project really was moving forward at Disney before the plug was pulled, Hedlund told Coming Soon:

"Yeah, it was, and it was just sort of I guess put on hold. I don't have all the answers. I mean, ever since [TRON] Legacy came out, they'd always wanted to get a concrete story for the next one. I knew that the new characters that we were introducing were going to be incredible. The script was really getting to a place to where everybody was getting really excited. The common comment was, 'This one's going to blow Legacy out of the water.' I was really excited for that."

Asked if Disney just paused the film indefinitely rather than outright scrapped it, Hedlund says:

"I guess so, yes. But yeah, I guess. That's all I really know. Joe [Kosinski] was going to come back on and direct and everybody's super excited, and who knows? Maybe there'll be a time and a place for it."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Sad that this wont happen...

Cry

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Even before the release of “TRON Legacy” in 2010, there was talk of a third film in the franchise. Actor Cillian Murphy’s cameo in ‘Legacy’ in many ways was pure setup for that as he was to become the main antagonist of a third feature.

‘Legacy’ scored a release and ultimately made $400 million worldwide – a very strong number, but considering the film’s $170 million production budget it wasn’t enough to either justify or instantly dismiss a sequel. Sadly though, a few months on, it seemed that plans for said third film were effectively scuttled.

In a new interview with ScreenRant this week, producer and former Disney development executive Brigham Taylor says that hopes remains alive at the studio. Asked if there was still life in the cult-favorite sci-fi franchise, he said:

“I always hope for that. I just had a wonderful visit to Shanghai, where they have an amazing attraction based on Tron Legacy. The designers just did such an amazing job creating the feeling of stepping onto The Grid, and that indelible visual world that Lisberger created and Kosinski explored… and I think there’s a real stickiness to that that I hope can grow into a film or whatever else. So I don’t know what I’d ‘hint’ at other than that I hope for that, and that there’s obviously been conversations.”