GOREZONE Forum Index

<  Cinema  ~  John Carpenter returns to HALLOWEEN

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 41020 Location: Bronx 1990
Trancas International, Miramax and Blumhouse will work together on the new feature film, which has already attached a key talent that should delight horror movie fans everywhere. John Carpenter, the legendary director behind the original HALLOWEEN, will return to the franchise as executive producer! Trancas' Malek Akkad will also produce alongside Jason Blum.

"38 years after the original HALLOWEEN," says John Carpenter, "I'm going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all."

Although he's not yet officially attached to do so, Jason Blum made it clear at the announcement event that the hope is to see John Carpenter also return to score the new HALLOWEEN.

"Trancas International is thrilled to be teaming up with Miramax on HALLOWEEN, one of the most enduring horror franchises in film," adds Malek Akkad. "We are also very excited to be working with Jason Blum and the whole team at Blumhouse. Together, along with the return of legendary filmmaker John Carpenter, we are eager to make a film that will be a milestone in the franchise's legacy and that will excite the fans, young and old."

"Malek Akkad's legacy with the HALLOWEEN franchise accompanied by Blumhouse's unprecedented talent in the horror genre lays the foundation of a formidable team to create the next chapter of this iconic fan favorite," says Zanne Devine, Miramax's EVP Film & Television. "Having John Carpenter godfather the reboot of the iconic franchise he helped create brings it full circle. We couldn't be in better company bringing HALLOWEEN back to the big screen."

"HALLOWEEN is one of those milestone films that inspired everyone at our company to get into the world of scary movies," says Jason Blum. "The great Malek Akkad and John Carpenter have a special place in the hearts of all genre fans and we are so excited that Miramax brought us together. We cannot wait to find and collaborate with the right filmmaker to give HALLOWEEN fans the movie they deserve."

The HALLOWEEN film franchise that was started in part by Carpenter and Moustapha Akkad in 1978 has spawned ten films generating a total of nearly $400 million in worldwide box office.

Your #1 source for bloody daily horror news since 1998.
http://www.gorezone.net
Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 am Reply with quote
This is HUGE news for John Carpenter and the HALLOWEEN franchise. What are your thoughs on this?

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
OCULUS helmer Mike Flanagan is in talks to write and direct the project. The filmmaker is coming off a very busy period having helmed three horror films all opening this year - last month's HUSH on Netflix along with OUIJA 2 and BEFORE I WAKE in cinemas this Fall.

John Carpenter, who helmed the seminal 1978 slasher, will serve as executive producer and is tipped to be scoring the film in order to deliver a classic sound. The film is said to be targeting an October 2017 release.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
My personal opinion is that director David Robert Mitchell (IT FOLLOWS) should direct it!

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
Back in May came word that the one and only John Carpenter had come onboard as executive producer on the next HALLOWEEN film which was now set up at Blumhouse Productions. Finally it seemed the franchise was making progress again after having stalled out with the original movie sequels in 2002 and the remakes in 2007 & 2009.

Sadly, several months on, it looks as if his involvement has not given the project any new momentum. Cinema Blend web site recently spoke with producer Jason Blum who says that the project is still alive, but it took a big step backwards recently and is a long way from being ready to go into production:

"We haven't landed on a filmmaker, and we haven't landed on an approach. We thought we had a filmmaker and an approach, and we don't. We're talking to a handful of people about it, all of them have different ideas. I don't believe in coming up with an idea and telling a filmmaker what to do. So we have three to five different people we're talking with, and all of them have a different idea about what it should be. And we haven't landed on a group, and as a result we haven't landed on an idea."

The tentative remains HALLOWEEN RETURNS which suggests this will forget the Rob Zombie film storyline and go back to the original film series. Carpenter may also return to score the film, but that's unconfirmed at this point.

Arbrick
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Decaying Corpse Joined: 11 Nov 2006 Posts: 266
Arc-Vile wrote:
My personal opinion is that director David Robert Mitchell (IT FOLLOWS) should direct it!

That's a GREAT idea! If only!
Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Arbrick wrote:
Arc-Vile wrote:

That's a GREAT idea! If only!

Thanks! Seeing just how amazing andf influenced by HALLOWEEN, IT FOLLOWS was.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote
Directly from John Carpenter's official Facebook page. So you say you want a Revolution? You want to shake things up and bring back HALLOWEEN and make it rock again? Well so do I.

So here's the announcement you've all been waiting for: David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are joining the project to complete the creative team. David and Danny will write the script together and David will direct. I will continue in my executive producer role to consult and offer my advice and feedback as needed.

David and Danny both came to my office recently with Jason Blum and shared their vision for the new movie and… WOW. They get it. I think you're gonna dig it. They blew me away. I might even do the music. Maybe. It could be kind of cool. And you'll get to see it in theaters on October 19th, 2018.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
The hiring of Danny McBride and David Gordon Green to co-write and for the latter to direct the new HALLOWEEN film came as a surprise earlier last week. Both are known more for dark comedy work rather than horror, nonetheless they are interesting choices. Speaking with the Cinemablend web site in the wake of the announcement, McBride confirmed another surprise choice – that the new film won't be a straight-up remake. Rather it will take place after the events of the first two original films in the series which both took place across one night. McBride says:

"You know, it's not a remake. It's actually, it's gonna continue the story of Michael Myers in a really grounded way. And for our mythology, we're focusing mainly in the first two movies and what that sets up and then where the story can go from there.

Green and I are definitely going to [do] a straight-up horror. HALLOWEEN has always been one of my favorite movies of all time. There's a simplicity and an efficiency to that first one that I think allows the movies just to be scary as hell. And so Green and I, our approach is to get back to that."

The third film proved a standalone, the fourth and subsequent films took place at least a decade if not more later. Whether it will be a period piece set between the second and fourth films and will obey continuity, or whether it will just chuck out everything after the second, remains unclear. The new HALLOWEEN is currently targeting an October 18th 2018 release.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 am Reply with quote
Since Danny McBride and David Gordon Green were announced as the creative force behind rebooting the HALLOWEEN franchise in February, there has been skepticism that they should be the duo to do it. While fans of horror are excited that John Carpenter will be back to produce, McBride and Green's catalogue together mostly consists of comedy projects.

While doing press for ALIEN COVENANT, McBride went on the Empire Film Podcast and talked a little about what their take is going to be:

Look at where the HALLOWEEN franchise has gone. There's a lot of room for improvement. David and I are coming from it as, we are horror fans, and we are humongous fans of John Carpenter and of what he did with the original HALLOWEEN, so I think from watching this and being disappointed by other versions of this series, I think we're just trying to strip it down and just take it back to what was so good about the original."

And when talking about the original itself and making Michael "scary" again:

It was just very simple and just achieved that level of horror that wasn't corny and it wasn't turning Michael Myers into some supernatural being that couldn't be killed. That stuff to me isn't scary. I want to be scared by something that I really think could happen.

I think it's much more horrifying to be scared by someone standing in the shadows while you're taking the trash out as opposed to someone who can't be killed pursuing you."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
The Licensing Expo 2017 is underway in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center this week with early artwork and promo posters now on display for a number of films not scheduled for release until well into next year. Here's the one for the upcoming HALLOWEEN reboot on the NEWS page!

Arc-Vile
Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
On the NEWS page is another version of the poster for the upcoming reboot.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Writer Danny McBride recently spoke with Cinema Blend about the movie; "You know, it's not a remake," Danny McBride said. "It's actually, it's gonna continue the story of Michael Myers in a really grounded way. And for our mythology, we're focusing mainly in the first two movies and what that sets up and then where the story can go from there."

McBridge says that the film will start with the first two movies and essentially let the continuity play out after that, which essentially makes it HALLOWEEN III.

"Green and I are definitely going to [do] a straight-up horror," Danny McBride said. "HALLOWEEN has always been one of my favorite movies of all time. There's a simplicity and an efficiency to that first one that I think allows the movies just to be scary as hell. And so Green and I, our approach is to get back to that."

Arc-Vile
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
The upcoming film is set to be directed by David Gordon Green and from a script by Green and Danny McBride. Here's what John Carpenter had to say; "David and Danny both came to my office recently with [Blumhouse producer] Jason Blum and shared their vision for the new movie and …wow! They get it. I think you're gonna dig it. They blew me away."

Blumhouse will produce the project which Carpenter will be heavily involved in. Specifics of the story aren't clear beyond McBride insisting this isn't a reboot – rather one that just ignores the latter sequel mythology. The director confirmed during the Toronto Film Festival that the script is all done and the plan is to shoot the project this Fall with an October 2018 release targeted.

Arc-Vile
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

Master of horror John Carpenter will executive produce and serve as creative consultant on this film, joining forces with cinema's current leading producer of horror, Jason Blum. Inspired by Carpenter's classic, filmmakers David Gordon Green and Danny McBride crafted a story that carves a new path from the events in the landmark 1978 film, and Green also directs.

HALLOWEEN will be produced by Malek Akkad, whose Trancas International Films has produced the HALLOWEEN series since its inception. Green and McBride will executive produce under their Rough House Pictures banner. HALLOWEEN will be distributed worldwide by Universal Pictures.